Japanese is the most difficult language to learn for native English speakers. If you want to Learn Japanese from the beginning level to fluent, then Japanese language learning apps are the best way to get started.
Many students have difficulty learning the Japanese language. Japanese is one of the most spoken languages in the world, but that doesn’t mean it is easy to learn. If you want to learn Japanese, then you are in the right place because I have shared the best and most popular apps to learn Japanese.
What Are The Best Apps To Learn Japanese?
Here are the 11 best apps to learn Japanese that can help you learn the language more quickly and fluently.
|Learn Japanese through gamified learning techniques.||Memrise|
|Best app to improve the Japanese vocabulary skills.||LingQ|
|Best app to improve listening and reading skills.||Mango Languages|
|Best Overall App to Learn Japanese.||Rocket Languages|
|Learn Japanese with authentic materials.||FluentU|
|Free App To Learn Japanese.||Duolingo|
|Learn Japanese Through Audio Lessons.||Rosetta Stone|
|Best App to Learn Japanese Grammar.||LingoDeer|
|Live Japanese Language Learning app||Preply|
|Best App to improve speaking abilities||Glossika|
|Best Beginner Japanese App||Mondly|
Top 11 Apps to Learn Japanese
There are many apps to learn the Japanese Language. Each app offers different types of learning methods, such as audio lessons, flashcards, live lessons, and more. Now, It depends on learners which method is suitable for its goal.
Many Japanese language learning apps exist, including Duolingo, LingoDeer, WaniKani, Memrise, and Busuu. Duolingo is a game-based app that covers basic Japanese language concepts fun and engagingly.
- LingoDeer uses interactive lessons, games, and quizzes focusing on grammar and vocabulary.
- WaniKani is specialized for learning Japanese kanji using a spaced repetition system (SRS) to help users retain information.
- Memrise uses mnemonics, humor, and games to teach vocabulary and grammar.
- Busuu offers interactive lessons, quizzes, speaking exercises, and a social networking component.
Memrise is the best language learning platform that offers content and resources related to 23 languages, including the most popular language, Japanese.
It is the best platform to learn a language quickly through gamified learning techniques. You will learn new words through Multiple-choice, Tapping tests, Typing tests, and Listening tests.
It offers both free and premium subscription options. If you want to improve your Speaking, Listening, and Grammar Skills related to Japanese, then the Memrsie app is the best way to get started.
- It offers content related to 23 languages.
- Get thousands of video examples of language.
- It offers practical phrases taught by native speakers.
- Users to create and share their own courses
- 65 Million users already joined this platform.
- The price is high.
- Features are different on the web and mobile app.
- Not enough content for advanced learners.
- No Free trial for paid subscription.
Memrise monthly cost is $14.99, and its annual cost is $89.99 ($7.50 per month). Its lifetime subscription plan cost is $199.99. Its cost is different for the different countries.
Learn More About Memrise
LingQ is the best online language-learning platform that offers a huge course library related to 40+ languages, including the most popular language, Japanese.
It is the best app for those who want to improve their vocabulary skills because it offers 1000s of lessons with audio + matching text. If you want to become fluent in the Japanese language, this app is the best way to start.
LingQ offers good content for learning the Japanese language. You will get thousands of audio lessons and other resources to improve your vocabulary skills. It does not offer content related to writing skills in Japanese.
- It offers a huge course library related to 40+ languages
- It offers a Spaced Repetition System for practice.
- It offers thousands of words for practice
- Get auto-generated audio for imported lessons.
- The best platform to improve vocabulary skills.
- You can import their communications privately.
- Effective combination of reading and listening.
- Less common languages don’t have much content
- Not good for writing skills.
LingQ monthly cost is $12.99, the 6-month cost is $71.94 ($11.99 per month), the annual cost is $107.88 ($8.99 per month), and the 24-month cost is $191.76 ( $7.99 per month).
Learn More About LingQ.
3. Mango Languages
Mango Languages offers content related to 70+ languages. This app offers a huge library of listening and reading activities so that you can make sense of written and spoken contexts.
You will get conversational, bite-sized lessons, listening & reading activities, critical thinking, and memory-building exercises.
The Mango Languages Japanese course covers many useful topics and can teach you to become conversational. You will also learn how to write Japanese characters and many other features.
- It offers content related to 70+ languages.
- It offers a library of listening and reading activities.
- It also offers a conversation-based methodology.
- Best app for grammar and pronunciation skills.
- It offers high-quality native speaker recordings.
- It offers live lessons related to all languages.
- It is the best app for Businesses and Schools.
- Not very useful for advanced learners
- Less popular languages have less content.
Its signal language monthly cost is $7.99 per month ($79.99 annually). Its All Languages access plan cost is $17.99 per month ($179.99 annually).
Learn More About Mango Languages
4. Rocket Languages
Rocket Languages offers content to learn 14 languages. You will get practical knowledge to develop speaking, listening, reading, and writing abilities. It offers self-paced lessons, so you can easily study the content at your own pace.
The Rocket Japanese course contains 3 levels and 21 modules. Its course offers different learning materials, such as audio lessons, interactive exercises, and quizzes. Its content is very helpful in improving listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities.
In the subscription plan, you will get voice recognition phrases, audio lessons, language lessons, culture lessons, practice conversations, and lifetime access to complete courses.
- It offers content to learn 14 languages.
- Learn the language and the culture like a local.
- It also offers a free version.
- Practice and review words effectively
- It also offers a one-Time Payment plan.
- Its courses are divided into 3 levels.
- The courses use a lot of English
- No speech recognition technology
Its Japanese level 1 cost is $149.95, and levels 1& 2 costs$299.90, and Levels 1, 2 & 3 cost $449.95.
Learn More About Rocket Languages.
Fluentu is the best app for those who want to learn a new language in a fun way. It is the best platform to learn new vocabulary and get exposure to a wide variety of authentic materials.
You will get interactive quizzes and exercises to improve your vocabulary, grammar, and comprehension skills. It offers Japanese content, such as 1,105 different videos, 52 audio samples, and 55 flashcard sets for beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners.
This does not teach you how to read, write, or speak Japanese. But it is the best way to enhance your Japanese comprehension.
- It also offers 14-day free access to all content.
- It offers 20000+ videos and movie scenes to learn a language.
- All captions are subtitled and translated.
- The best app to improve your comprehension skills.
- Not good for an absolute beginner or advanced.
- Not good for practice.
- The monthly Price is high.
FluentU’s monthly cost is $29.99, and its annual cost with a discount is $143.99 (Its original price is $359.99). It also offers 14-day free access to all new subscribers.
Learn More About FluentU.
Duolingo offers courses related to 25+ languages, including the most popular languages, such as Japanese. It provides a gamified approach to language learning, making it fun and engaging for users.
It does not offer writing practice related to the Japanese language. It does not offer writing practice for languages that use different writing systems. Its course covers various topics, including greetings, numbers, food, clothing, animals, and more. It’s not a good option for advanced Japanese learners.
- Best for reading, listening, and speaking skills.
- Its basic lessons are free.
- Offers a 14-day free trial in the Duolingo Super.
- Offers gamification learning techniques to learn quickly.
- The best source to learn the basics of grammar
- No writing practice
- Not good for more Advanced learners.
- Repetitive lesson
Duolingo’s super monthly cost is $12.99 per month, and the annual plan cost is $83.99 ($6.99 per month).
Learn More About Duolingo.
7. Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone is the perfect platform for those who want to improve their speaking and listening skills. It offers content and resources related to 25+ languages. It offers high-quality speech recognition technology to check your pronunciation.
Its Japanese course covers fewer units as compared to other popular languages. It offers 12 units to learn the language, where you can learn all basic words and phrases related to Japanese. It offers activities related to reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills.
- It offers audio lessons from native speakers.
- Provides immediate feedback on pronunciation.
- It offers speech recognition technology.
- It is also available for Business.
- 12,000+ organizations trust it.
- No writing practice
- No good content for less popular languages.
Rosetta Stone’s 3-month cost is $35.97 ($11.99 per month). Its 12-month cost is $95.88 ($7.99 per month).
Learn More About Rosetta Stone.
If anyone wants to gain a deep understanding related to the Japanese language, then LingoDeer is the perfect platform because it offers grammar points, built-in flashcards, HD audio, and engaging stories to get fluency and mastery.
It is the best course for English speakers who want to learn Japanese quickly. Its Japanese course is divided into lessons that include vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure. Each lesson includes audio recordings and exercises for practice, so learners can practice listening and speaking skills.
- It has 20 Million+ happy users.
- It offers a free version for all languages
- All app has a Good Rating.
- It offers built-in flashcards and HD audio.
- It offers engaging stories to get fluency.
- Get 200+ Lessons related to target languages.
- Covers Limitted Languages.
- Not good for Advanced learners.
Lingodeer monthly plan cost is $8.99, and its Quarterly plan cost is $19.99. The Yearly plan cost of this platform is $54.99 (offers time $79.99).
Learn More About LingoDeer.
Preply is the best platform to learn a language online. This platform has a large collection of tutors to teach 24+ languages, including the most popular language Japanese.
If you want to speak confidently and want to get live classes through expert and certified tutors, then Preply is the best platform. It is available worldwide and helped thousands of students for achieving their language learning goals.
- It has 32,000+ Experienced tutors.
- Learn anytime with mobile/desktop.
- It has tutors from 200+ countries.
- Flexible and convenient to use.
- Easily search and filter online tutors.
- Teachers aren’t paid for trial lessons.
- Lots of competition for students.
- The Preply commission rate is high.
- Pressure on teachers to sell packages.
Preply tutors set their own price, but the price differs for different languages.
Learn More About Preply.
Glossika is the best language learning platform for those who want to become fluent in the Japanese language. It offers content related to 60+ languages, including the most popular languages, such as Japanese.
If you want to improve your speaking abilities and gain conversation confidence, this app is the best way to get started. It also offers additional materials such as vocabulary lists, grammar guides, and pronunciation exercises.
- It offers content related to 60+ languages.
- 7-day free trial with full access to all content.
- Learn multiple languages at the same time
- Best for reading, writing, speaking, & listening skills.
- It offers spaced repetition algorithm for practice.
- Get Natural audio from native speakers.
- No writing practice
- Lack of variation in practice activities.
Glossika’s monthly cost with one language access is $16.99, and the unlimited access to 60+ languages plan costs $30.99 per month.
Mondly is the best app to improve Japanese language skills because it uses artificial intelligence (AI) and augmented reality (AR) technologies to enhance the language learning experience.
You can track your progress and learning statistics, which is very helpful for your motivation. It is a good app for anyone preparing a trip to a foreign country. Its Japanese course is an excellent place to start, but it is not enough to become more fluent.
- It offers 50+ topics for each language.
- Best for pronunciation and speaking skills.
- It follows the CEFR principles in the lectures.
- Learn through certified tutors.
- Provide practices for real-life conversations.
- Get instant feedback on your pronunciation.
- No writing practice
- Not suitable for advanced learners.
- Doesn’t have a lot of grammar help
- Sometimes feels repetitive
Mondly monthly cost is $9.99, and its annual cost is $47.99 with one language access. Its Lifetime plan cost with a discount is $99.99 (original price $1999).
Learn More About Mondly.
Online Apps are the best way to learn the Japanese language. If you want to Learn Japanese from the beginning level to fluent, then Japanese language learning apps are the best way to get started. Each app offers different types of learning methods, such as audio lessons, flashcards, live lessons, and more. Some apps are good for speaking and listening skills, and others are good for vocabulary building.
What are the most effective apps for learning Japanese?
Rocket Languages, Mondly, Pimsleur, Drops, Lingopie, and Rosetta Stone are the best apps to learn Japanese.
What is a good free app to learn Japanese?
Duolingo, LingoDeer, and Memrise are the best app to learn Japanese for free.
Can I learn Japanese on my own?
Yes, You can easily learn Japanese in your own way. Many online apps (Duolingo, LingoDeer, and Memrise) offer self-paced courses related to the Japanese language.