Apps are the best online source of learning for those who want to improve their Chinese language skills from the beginning to become fluent.
Apps are good sources for those who want to learn a language from native speakers. It teaches you how to write Chinese characters, help you remember vocabulary, and more.
Many apps provide free versions like Duolingo to learn the basic concepts of the Chinese language. Each app has its own features. Some apps are good for improving vocabulary, and many apps are suitable for improving vocabulary skills.
Best Apps to Learn Chinese In 2023
There are many apps to improve Chinese language skills. These apps improve speaking, listening, reading, or writing skills.
- ChinesePod: Enhance listening and comprehension skills for learners.
- HelloChinese: It is a well-rounded app suitable for beginners and intermediate learners.
- Ninchanese: It offers a unique method of teaching Chinese characters.
- The Chairman’s Bao: It is the best app to enhance reading comprehension
- Super Chinese: It is designed to enhance Chinese grammar and vocabulary skills
- Daily Chinese: It is very helpful for grammar, vocabulary, characters, and listening comprehension skills.
- Du Chinese: It offers reading, listening, writing, and speaking practice methods.
- Pimsleur: It is suitable to enhance speaking skills.
- Italki: It connects users with online Chinese tutors for personalized lessons.
- Clozemaster: It utilizes fill-in-the-blank exercises to teach Chinese vocabulary and grammar.
- HelloTalk: It connects users with native Chinese speakers to enhance their speaking and writing skills.
ChinesePod is an online platform that provides a wide range of resources for learning Mandarin Chinese. It offers 4,000 immersive video and audio lessons that teach phrases that real Chinese speakers use.
It offers many topics to learn, so you can choose them according to your interest. Its lessons are suitable for Newbie, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate, and Advanced learners.
After joining this platform, you will get access to a library of over 4000 lessons, printable lessons notes, a vocabulary manager, flashcards & writing practice tools, and HD video lessons
- Its free trial gives you access to all premium features.
- You can download what you need and listen/watch anywhere.
- It offers 4,000 immersive video and audio lessons to improve Chinese language skills.
- It offers different types of exercises, such as Lesson exercises, Placement tests, Personal scoring, and Progress tracker.
- Focused mostly on listening and vocabulary.
- Limited accessibility to online tutors.
Its Basic Plan costs $14/month or $124/year. Its Premium Plan costs $29/month or $249/year.
Learn More About ChinesePod.
HelloChinese is a language-learning app designed to learn Mandarin Chinese in a fun and interactive way. Its structured curriculum covers various topics of Mandarin Chinese, such as vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and listening skills.
It is the best Chinese learning app for total beginners. It offers 1000+ graded stories, 2,000+ videos, and Handwriting lessons to learn Chinese characters faster.
This app uses Speech Recognition Technology to Correct pronunciation and makes speaking Chinese a breeze. Users can compare their pronunciation to native speakers and receive feedback for accurate pronunciation.
- Its Speech recognition system corrects your pronunciation.
- It provides a clear and concise explanation of basic grammar concepts.
- This app provides a lot of content for free to improve Chinese language skills.
- It offers a bite-sized curriculum and game style to keep motivation.
- It covers all aspects of learning, such as reading, writing, speaking, vocabulary, and grammar.
- A free version is very limiting.
- Lacks explanations of more complex grammar concepts.
- One-month subscription for $8.99
- 3-month subscription for $19.99
- 12-month subscription for $59.99
Learn More About Hellochinese.
Ninchanese is a fun and effective way to learn Chinese. Its 150+ Chinese sentences teach you grammar, syntax, and exceptions. It also boosts your understanding of Chinese grammar with exercises.
You will learn to write Chinese simultaneously by using its embedded Input Method Editor. Its listening practice improves your listening and Chinese writing skills.
You will learn the Chinese vocabulary you want when you want. It offers many courses to learn the basic and advanced concepts of Chinese. This app focuses on teaching Chinese characters and offers tools for character recognition.
- It offers a fun and easy-to-use user interface.
- It provides a fun and effective way to learn Chinese.
- Its grammar stages are great for practice.
- Its writing practice helps learners know what they have learned.
- You will become a master in Chinese with AI-powered Grammar Assistance.
- Speaking stages have computer-generated audio.
- Not good for more advanced learners.
Its monthly plan costs $10, 6 months costs $54, and 12 months costs $96.
Learn More About Ninchanese.
4. The Chairman’s Bao
The Chairman’s Bao is an online platform that offers news articles and stories written in simplified Chinese. Its articles cover various topics, from current events and world news to culture, technology, and lifestyle.
It also offers interactive features like audio recordings of articles, vocabulary explanations, and grammar breakdowns.
This app strengthens character recognition and confirms your understanding of each text with reading and listening comprehension exercises.
You will practice with flashcards for long-term memorization. Learners can access this platform on their desktop, laptop, mobile, or tablet.
- It offers human-recorded audio for each article.
- You will Learn and write stroke order.
- It publishes 3-6 new articles daily related to Chinese.
- Its articles are genuinely interesting for learners of every level.
- It also offers institutional subscriptions for schools or companies.
- Limited access to the free version.
- It does not provide English translations of full sentences.
- Monthly cost: $10
- 3-Months cost: $25
- 6-Months cost: $45
- 12-Month cost: $80
Learn More About The Chairman’s Bao
5. Super Chinese
Super Chinese is an excellent source of learning for those who want to improve their Chinese language skills quickly. Its AI technology combines scientific approaches with an intuitive UI to offer you an Unparalleled Learning Experience.
This app tests your Mandarin Chinese Level Accurately in 5 Minutes. Its course content covers HSK Level 1 to Level 5. It provides a clear explanation for vocabulary, grammar, and conversation.
It is very helpful for schools and companies because it transforms your classroom into a smart learning Hub. It also offers personalized feedback and optimized practice exercises.
Its learning tools are already being used by a number of leading Universities and Mandarin Chinese training schools.
- It offers male and female native speaker audio.
- It is very helpful for improving speaking, reading, writing, and listening.
- It is easy to use and fun, but animated videos aren’t especially engaging.
- It uses advanced AI technology to meet your personal learning style.
- Only 10 minutes free for those not paying.
- There’s no clear character memorization aspect.
Its monthly cost is $11.99, and its annual cost is $69.99 or $149.99 for a lifetime.
Learn More About Super Chinese
6. Daily Chinese
Daily Chinese is the simplest way to grow your Chinese vocabulary. You will learn words and idioms through daily reviews guided by spaced repetition. It offers 9000+ words to learn both traditional and simplified characters.
Your monitor review progress and always know the exact size of your vocabulary. This app is very helpful for beginners because it provides daily lessons, vocabulary, exercises, and other tools to learn and improve your Chinese language skills.
It offers foundational topics like grammar to niche categories such as Buddhism and industry-specific vocabulary.
- It provides the simplest way to master words and idioms.
- It offers a spaced repetition system for long-term memorization.
- Its word packs will teach you the basic words for traveling, living, or studying in China.
- It offers vocabulary lists for all 6 Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi, Mainland China’s Chinese proficiency exam levels.
- Not good for advanced learners.
Learn More About Daily Chinese
7. Du Chinese
Du Chinese is an app and website that offers a collection of Chinese texts at various difficulty levels. Users can read the texts, listen to the audio, and practice their reading and listening skills.
It is a powerful tool that makes learning Chinese simple and effective. Its dictionary shows you what the word means in that particular sentence.
Its lessons cover topics like everyday life in China, funny stories, business, and the latest trends in China.
Du Chinese instructors manually translate its sentences into natural English. It also provides extensive reading practice to all levels of Chinese language learners.
- Articles can be downloaded for offline use.
- It provides recommended lessons based on your reading history.
- You can save and review words using an intuitive flashcard system.
- It provides sentence translations and context-dependent word translations.
- Its Content is highly relevant to Chinese culture and life in China.
- Lessons are no longer than a few pages.
- It offers less content for Advanced and Master levels.
Its monthly cost is $14.99, the 6-month cost is $79.99, and the annual cost is $119.99.
Learn More About Du Chinese.
Pimsleur is a language-learning platform that offers audio-based lessons related to 50+ languages, including the most popular language Chinese.
It is the best language learning platform for those who prefer audio-based lessons and want to focus on conversational skills.
It is available for Ios, Desktop, and Android devices. Its Android app has 1 million+ downloads. Its ios app rating is 4.7, and its Android app rating is 4.4 out of 5.
- It offers 50+ languages to learn.
- It offers 30-minute free access to all new users.
- It offers Digital Flash Cards for Practice.
- It is available for all devices.
- It offers a 7-day free trial for a monthly subscription.
- Its content quality is high.
- Not much reading or writing practice.
- Not suitable for advanced learners.
- It offers only audio-based lessons.
Its cost ranges from $15 to $21.
Learn More About Pimsleur
Italki offers customizable 1-on-1 lessons and group classes related to 150+ languages, including the more popular language, Chinese. It is the best language tutor platform. Certified teachers provide content and classes that fit your budget and schedule.
It allows users to connect with native speakers of the target language. Its lessons are affordable, making language learning accessible to a broader audience.
All teachers and tutors are experienced and passionate about helping students improve their language skills.
- It offers 1000+ tutors in each language.
- It has 5+ million students.
- Easy to filter and find the best teacher.
- Lesson prices fit every budget.
- It offers customizable 1-on-1 lessons.
- The quality of teachers varies a lot
- Restrictive cancellation policy.
- Higher prices don’t mean higher quality.
Italki lessons generally range from $10 to $50 per hour. Many teachers charge less than $10 per hour, and some tutors charge more than $50.
Clozemaster is a gamified learning platform that offers content related to 70+ languages, including the most popular language such as Spanish, French, and Chinese.
It offers various types of exercises,s such as multiple-choice questions, fill-in-the-blank exercises, and dictation exercises.
You will get thousands of sentences, phrases, and full texts covering many topics. It also uses spaced repetition to learn new vocabulary for your long-term memory.
- It offers content related to 70+ languages
- It has a massive library of sentences, phrases
- It offers spaced repetition system for practice.
- Native speakers record their audio lessons.
- The best app to improve vocabulary skills.
- Learn natural phrases in context.
- Improve reading, writing, and listening skills.
- Its lifetime plan costs $140.
- Tricky for complete beginners
- The speaking practice feature needs improvement.
- Some phrases aren’t translated correctly.
- It’s mostly for practicing, not learning.
Its monthly cost is $8.00, and its annual cost is $60.00.
Learn More About Clozemaster
HelloTalk is the best language exchange platform. It connects you with native speakers to chat for free. You will learn a language for free by chatting with native speakers worldwide.
It recently introduced HelloTalk Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly. It also offers learning tools such as translation and instant captions to learn by chatting with native speakers.
It is available for Ios, Desktop, and Android devices. Its Android app has 10 Million+ downloads. Its ios app rating is 4.6, and its Android app rating is 4.5 out of 5.
- You can chat with people in 150+ languages.
- It is available for free with limited features.
- It offers Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly.
- It also offers private classes to learn a language.
- You can chat with native speakers worldwide.
- 30 Million+ learners have already joined this App.
- A free version is very limited
- It does not teach a language.
- You’re at the mercy of others.
Its monthly cost is $12.99. It also offers a lifetime access plan, and its cost is $149.99. Its cost is different for different countries.
Learn More About HelloTalk.
All Apps are good learning sources for those who want to boost their language skills from beginning level to pro. I have shared 11 apps for improving language skills. These apps are best for improving speaking, listening, reading, or writing skills.
What is the best free app to learn Chinese?
ChinesePod, HelloChinese, and Ninchanese are the best app to improve speaking, listening, reading, or writing skills.
How can I learn Chinese on my phone?
Apps like ChinesePod, HelloChinese, and Ninchanese are good sources for those who want to learn a language from native speakers. It teaches you how to write Chinese characters, help you remember vocabulary, and more.