If you are looking for the Best Apps To Learn Chess, then this article is perfect for you because I will cover 10 Chess apps for Beginners and Grand Masters
Chess is a game that involves moving pieces to move the pieces in a specific order. The rules of chess can be learned through various methods, such as spaced repetition, online courses, and interactive online Apps. Spaced repetition helps reduce the time spent on each piece, while online courses offer interactive lessons from top masters and coaches.
To learn chess, it is recommended to play many training games online, such as the FICS server, for at least 15 minutes or more. Tactics and puzzles are helpful for beginners and at every level to learn common patterns. Online learning apps can also be helpful, as they can help sharpen one’s game.
For beginners, it is recommended to start by playing at chess.com or games.yahoo.com and try to play people with a score of 900 or lower.
To teach kids to play chess, it is essential to follow a structured approach, including studying material geared for their level, focusing on the middlegame and endgame, and changing the way you study.
Chess apps are often free or offer free trials or low-cost subscriptions. They allow users to learn at their own pace and schedule, allowing them to pause and rewind lessons as needed. Engaging gamification elements and interactive exercises make learning fun and enjoyable.
Benefits of using apps to learn chess:
- Apps can help you learn the basics of chess, such as the different pieces and how they move.
- Apps can help you improve your chess strategy and tactics.
- Apps can help you solve chess puzzles and improve your problem-solving skills.
- Apps can help you play against other players online and improve your competitive skills.
- Apps can make learning chess more fun and engaging.
Top 10 Apps To Learn Chess
There are many ways to learn chess, but apps are the best way to learn chess because they will enhance your chess-playing experience and skills. It offers interactive lessons for all skill levels of players, from beginners to advanced.
Chess.com allows users to play chess games online against opponents worldwide. Players can choose from various time controls, including blitz, rapid, and classical.
It provides interactive lessons, videos, puzzles, and articles designed to understand every aspect of chess, from the basics to advanced strategies.
This app improves your chess rating with 500,000+ tactics puzzles and 100+ powerful computer opponents. You will play games in real-time from one minute per game to 30 minutes or longer.
It provides computer-generated analysis that highlights your mistakes and suggests better moves. This feedback is very helpful for understanding your gameplay.
- Its 2-player chess mode is completely free to enjoy with your friends.
- You will meet new friends and chat while you play.
- Its rated mode automatically adjusts to your skill level.
- You will practice puzzles with specific themes in learning mode.
- You will learn chess rules and strategies in a step-by-step lesson plan.
Learn More About Chess.
2. Play Magnus
Play Magnus is a mobile app and online platform that offers a unique and engaging way to learn and improve your chess skills. You will solve countless mind-blowing chess puzzles and beat your opponents using the tricks you learn.
Its Magnometer tool guides you on the right and wrong decisions in the game. It connects players worldwide and allows you to challenge friends, compete in tournaments, and engage in friendly competition.
This app is developed by a team of world-class chess experts led by Magnus Carlsen. You will get detailed statistics on your performance. You can easily know how well your friends do and share your memorable games with them. Its monthly cost is $14.17.
- You will get Five apps from Multiple platforms at One price.
- This training program includes puzzles, minigames, and videos from Carlson.
- This app is a superb way to master chess with the reigning World Champion.
- You will get chess concepts and tactics while receiving guidance from a world-class player.
Learn More About Play Magnus
ChessKid.com is an online platform designed to teach and promote chess among children. It provides a safe and engaging environment for kids to learn and play chess.
It offers progress tracking, tournaments, and achievements to motivate and reward young learners as they improve their chess skills.
You will get access to an engaging online curriculum, easy-to-manage clubs/classrooms, and student chess report cards.
- Its lessons cover game topics, including rules, tactics, strategies, and endgame techniques.
- It offers various chess puzzles and drills that help children practice and improve their tactical skills.
- It organizes online chess tournaments where young players can compete against each other.
- It allows kids to play practice games against computer opponents.
Learn More About ChessKid
Lichess allows you to play chess games against opponents from worldwide. You can choose between various time controls, such as blitz, rapid, and classical, to suit your preferred playing style.
It provides various training tools, including puzzles, tactics, and endgame studies to improve your chess skills. It also allows players to create and share their chess lessons and materials.
It is designed for both phones and tablets, supporting landscape mode. After Joining, You will get a free Lichess account, common chess positions, exercise for your tactical skills, instructive chess videos, and test your skills with the computer.
- It provides game analysis with local computer evaluation.
- It regularly hosts online chess tournaments that players can join.
- It provides a high-quality and enjoyable chess experience without any subscription fees.
- It offers a computer analysis feature that reviews your moves and highlights potential mistakes.
Learn More About Lichess
5. Really Bad Chess
It is a unique and entertaining chess variant. It takes the classic chess game that many are familiar with and adds a delightful twist. It is suitable for both casual players and seasoned chess enthusiasts looking for a new and unpredictable experience.
This app will improve your skills using the included Freeplay mode. It is available for Android and Ios devices. This app encourages more intuitive playing. In the app, you play with rearranged boards.
- It makes chess fun even if you’re really bad.
- You will feel more modern than chess has ever felt.
- It offers an enjoyable and refreshing twist on the classic game.
- You will get an essential puzzle experience for anyone even remotely interested in strategy games.
Learn More About Really Bad Chess
This app allows players to play chess games online against opponents worldwide. Users can choose different time controls, join tournaments, and improve their skills by competing against other players.
Its courses will help you improve in structured and enjoyable steps. Lessons feature explanations, videos, and interactive exercises. You can immediately analyze your moves afterward to improve your chess.
Learners can analyze live games with a chess engine and try their own moves on the board. It offers thousands of puzzles with a wide range of difficulty. It offers classes for up to 100 students, live quizzes, homework + assignments & much more.
- It offers online group lessons, tournaments, and events for kids.
- Top players share their secrets through interactive lessons.
- Browse expert analysis at leisure with its chess game viewer.
- It improves your tactical skills with puzzles adapted to your level.
- Users can use its database, engine, and live training tool.
Learn More About Chess24
7. Follow Chess
It is a mobile application and website designed for chess enthusiasts to stay updated on live chess tournaments and games worldwide. It provides real-time information, live streaming, and other features that allow users to follow and engage with the chess events closely.
This app covers various chess tournaments, from local events to top-level international competitions. You can quickly search for games of players or openings in the All Games screen.
- You can watch multiple live games on a single screen.
- You will get notified when the round starts or of individual game results.
- You will get notified when new tournaments are added.
- Users can Chat with other users and exchange ideas and views.
Learn More About Follow Chess
8. Chess Adventure for Kids
Chess Adventure for Kids is an app where kids can play chess against fun fantasy bosses and against other kids. This app provides animated videos, colorful illustrations, and relatable examples to explain how each piece moves and captures.
Users can also practice puzzles or compete in puzzle duels. You can create and customize your character and join the fun.
- 1 Month: $7.99
- 3 Months: $14.99
- 1 Year: USD 39.99
- Learners will Play 40+ different fantasy bosses.
- You will play vs. Kids in a 100% safe environment.
- Users will solve more than 100,000+ puzzles.
- You will learn from 6 educational Quests with hundreds of challenges.
Learn More About Chess Adventure for Kids
It is an online platform designed to learn and improve chess skills through interactive and adaptive learning techniques. It uses science-backed learning techniques to boost your retention by up to 95%.
Its classroom feature is the ultimate tool for live chess instruction. It is very helpful for school teachers. Teachers can use a shared board to instruct & entertain, host up to 1000 students simultaneously, and run tournaments, quizzes, and in-built classes.
This app offers paid courses library as well as hundreds of free courses on openings, tactics, strategy, and endgames.
- Using this app, You can learn chess efficiently anywhere, anytime.
- Its classroom feature is the ultimate tool for live chess instruction.
- Its video and text explanations courses are the best in the world.
- You will repeat the moves at scientifically-set delays.
- You can choose from hundreds of courses on nearly any topic you can think of.
Learn More About Chessable
10. Learn Chess with Dr. Wolf
You will learn the game of chess with your own personal coach. This app offers guidance, lessons, and resources for players of all skill levels to enhance their understanding of chess strategies, tactics, and principles.
Dr. Wolf will teach you everything step-by-step and provide engaging lessons to learn Chess’s basic and advanced concepts. It is very suitable for all levels, even if you learn from the beginning.
It also uses a learning technique called spaced repetition, which helps increase your learning rate. Dr. Wolf is a friendly coach and explains things slowly.
- You will learn chess from the beginning.
- It offers 4 unique coaches to choose from.
- It offers 40+ detailed lessons for all skill levels.
- It is a personalized coach that teaches you at your own pace.
- Its engaging lessons cover all the fundamentals of chess.
- It keeps track of your progress as you develop and grow your skills.
Learn More About Chess with Dr. Wolf
There are many apps to learn chess. All apps offer a combination of lessons, puzzles, and practice games to help you progress and enjoy the journey of learning chess. To effectively use chess learning apps, choose an app that suits your skill level and learning style, set realistic goals, practice regularly, and find an app with a supportive community.
What are the best apps to learn chess?
Chess.com, Magnus Trainer, Chess Tactics and Lessons, and Chess Tiger are the best apps for learning Chess.
Is there an app that will teach me chess?
Play Magnus, ChessKid.com, and Lichess are the best apps to improve chess skills.