The German Language is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. It is an official language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. Learning German can open up career opportunities in various fields, including business, engineering, science, tourism, and translation.
Learning a new language provides insights into different cultures and perspectives. It enhances your travel experiences and allows you to communicate with locals, understand signs and menus, and immerse yourself in the local culture.
There are many ways to Learn German, but apps are the best way to start the learning journey because language-learning apps will help you improve your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Each app provides different ways of learning and focuses on specific skills.
Best German Learning Apps
If you want to become fluent in a new language, then Language learning apps are the best way to start. I have provided the list of 11 apps to learn the German language. Each app offers different costs and teaching methods.
Overall, Duolingo offers a fun, engaging, gamified approach for beginners, while Memrise uses flashcards, memory games, and real-world videos for vocabulary and grammar. Rosetta Stone focuses on thinking in German, while Babbel offers structured courses.
|Best App to Improve Listning & Speaking Skills.||Rosetta Stone|
|Best Overall App to Learn German.||Babbel|
|Best App to improve German vocabulary.||Clozemaster|
|Best App to Learn German With Live Classes.||Chatterbug|
|Best & Free App to learn the basic overview of German.||Duolingo|
|Best & Affordable App to improve German vocabulary skills.||Drops App|
|Best App to learn German with qualified teachers.||Verbling|
|Best App to learn German with audio recordings & written transcripts.||Glossika|
|Best App to learn German by chatting with native speakers.||HelloTalk|
|Best App to improve German listening and speaking skills.||Pimsleur|
|Best & Free Language exchange app to gain fluency.||Tandem|
1. Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone is the best app for learning the German language. It offers audio and images to teach you words and phrases. It teaches you through real-world scenarios, interactive activities, and audio from native speakers.
Its courses focus on building vocabulary, developing pronunciation skills, and improving overall language proficiency. Its curriculum and engaging mobile app make it easy and fun to learn a new language.
Its lessons cover the basics of the language and the additional tools for practicing what you’ve learned. Its Speech recognition technology can help improve your pronunciation, but the most helpful feature of this is Stories.
- It offers Lessons related to 25+ languages.
- It offers audio lessons from native speakers.
- It provides immediate feedback on pronunciation.
- It offers speech recognition technology.
- It is also available for Business.
- 12,000+ organizations trust it.
- No writing practice
- No good content for less popular languages.
Rosetta Stone’s 3-month cost is $35.97 ($11.99 monthly). Its 12-month cost is $95.88 ($7.99 per month). In the monthly plan, You need to select the language and start your learning journey. Its lifetime subscription costs $179.99 with a discount (original price $299).
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Rosetta Stone.
Babbel is the perfect platform for those who want to build a strong foundation in German language. It is the best platform to improve listening, speaking, and reading skills in the German language. It also offers live classes in limited languages, such as German, Spanish, French, and Italian. World-class teachers teach live classes.
This app will provide a complete picture of a language, including pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, and cultural context. You can try the first few lessons of each course for free. For full access, You need to purchase the subscription plan. It offers a Podcast to learn the German language.
Babbel also offers additional refresher courses, grammar lessons, Business German, and other specialized German courses.
- It offers courses related to 14 languages.
- It also provides live virtual classes.
- It offers podcasts to learn new vocabulary.
- A certified language teacher provides all classes.
- Best App for listening, speaking, and reading skills.
- It is also suitable for Business.
- Its Lifetime plan provides access to all languages.
- Offers 2-Minute Stories for Practice.
- Content quality varies between languages
- Live classes are available for limited languages.
Babbel Live’s 1-month cost is $99, and the 3-month cost is $209 ($70 per month). Its 6-month cost is $359, and its 12-month plan cost is $599 ($50 per month).
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Babbel.
Clozemaster is the best platform for those who want to improve their German vocabulary through gamified learning techniques. It offers features such as spaced repetition, which helps reinforce learning through strategic repetition of challenging words and phrases.
It also provides speaking and listening practice, which is very helpful for beginners who want to become fluent in German.
It offers AI, machine learning, and natural language technology to build games, tools, and resources to rapidly increase your vocabulary and listening skills.
- It offers content related to 70+ languages
- It has a massive library of sentences, phrases.
- It offers spaced repetition system for practice.
- Native speakers record their audio lessons.
- The best app to improve vocabulary skills.
- Learn natural phrases in context.
- Improve reading, writing, and listening skills.
- Its lifetime plan costs $140.
- Tricky for complete beginners.
- The speaking practice feature needs improvement.
- Some phrases aren’t translated correctly.
- It’s mostly for practicing, not learning.
Clozemaster monthly cost is $8.00, and its annual cost is $60.00. It also offers a lifetime access plan, and its cost is $140.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Clozemaster.
Chatterbug offers 45 minutes of private online Live Lessons, Structured classes with trained tutors, and 24/7 access to vocab, grammar & Live Lessons to learn the German language.
It also offers pr-recorded lessons and podcast series to memorize the knowledge. Learns will also learn the best and most advanced concepts related to grammar and culture.
All live lessons are provided via Zoom to practice speaking and listening skills. It also provides a community forum where learners can learn from one another.
- It offers 45-minute online live lessons.
- It provides a 14-day free trial.
- All live streams are free for all.
- Offre content for 4 languages.
- All live lessons are provided via Zoom.
- Scheduling Live Lessons is super easy.
- Great support and friendly approach.
- Suitable for all level A1, A2, B1, B2, and C1.
- Expensive than others.
- Few languages are offered.
- Not much content for advanced levels.
- Reading and writing practices are limited.
Its lite Plan cost is 20€ Per month with 1 Live Lesson, Casual Plan cost is 75€ with 4 Live Lessons, Serious Plan cost is 140€ with 8 Live Lessons, and Ultimate Plan cost is 400€ Per month with 31 Live Lessons. Its cost is different for different countries.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Chatterbug.
Duolingo is the best platform to learn the basic concepts of the German language for free. This platform is very helpful for reading, listening, and speaking skills.
It also offers listening exercises, speaking practice, reading comprehension, and writing exercises to develop German language skills.
Its basic lessons are free. It also offers Duolingo Plus, where you will get additional features and resources to learn the new language quickly. Learners will also get a 14-day free trial in the Duolingo Plus plan.
- It offers content related to 30+ languages.
- Best for reading, listening, and speaking skills.
- Its basic lessons are free.
- It offers gamification learning techniques to learn quickly.
- The best source to learn the basics of grammar
- It is the best free platform for Schools teachers.
- No writing practice
- Not good for more Advanced learners.
- Repetitive lesson
Duolingo’s super monthly cost is $12.99 per month, and the annual plan cost is $83.99 ($6.99 per month).
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Duolingo.
6. Language Drops App
Language Drops App is the best app for those who want to improve their vocabulary skills related to the German language. It also offers content related to less popular languages.
If you want to grow your German language vocabulary, this App is the best way to get started because it offers a list of more than 4500 words and phrases.
This app is available for free with some limitations. It also offers a premium version with a 7-day free trial. You can also download the lesson for offline viewing in the premium version.
- It offers courses related to 48+ languages.
- It offers 4500+ Popular words and phrases
- It uses gamification techniques for learning.
- It is available for free with limited access.
- It offers Fun and engaging activities.
- Wide selection of vocabulary topics
- The app only focuses on vocabulary
- No content for grammar or writing skills.
The Drops app monthly cost is $13 per month, the annual cost is $69.99 ($5.83 per month), and the Lifetime access plan cost is $159.99. The cost of this platform is the same as other apps.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Drops App.
Verbling is an online language learning platform that connects language learners with qualified teachers for one-on-one language lessons via video chat.
It has 2,000 expert tutors who have good teaching experience. You can easily select the teachers according to your free time and budget.
It offers flexibility in scheduling lessons, making it convenient for professionals with busy schedules. Learners can book lessons at their preferred times.
- It offers lessons related to 80+ languages.
- It has a community of 2,000+ expert tutors.
- Book lessons according to your own schedule.
- Native speakers teach all classes.
- Its costs start from $6.
- No continuity between teachers.
- No additional practice material.
You can easily filter the tutors according to your budget. Many teachers charge around $15.00 to $30.00 per hour. Some teachers charge less than $8.00 per hour, while others charge close to $100.00 per hour.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Verbling.
Glossika is the best app for improving German language skills because it offers audio recordings through native speakers, written transcripts, and translations to improve listening, speaking, and writing skills.
This app also uses spaced repetition algorithm to memorize the words and phrases for a long time. It also provides additional support and resources for learners to understand the language quickly and deeply.
All sentence has been reviewed and recorded by a native speaker. The sentences are organized into different difficulty levels, and learners can progress at their own pace.
- It offers content related to 60+ languages.
- 7-day free trial with full access to all content.
- Learn multiple languages at the same time
- Best for reading, writing, speaking, & listening skills.
- It offers spaced repetition algorithm for practice.
- Get Natural audio from native speakers.
- No writing practice.
- Lack of variation in practice activities.
Glossika’s monthly cost with one language access is $16.99, and the unlimited access to 60+ languages plan costs $30.99 per month. You can change Target Language once every 30 days.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Glossika.
HelloTalk is the best Language exchange app to help you to find language partners for conversations worldwide. You can easily make friends with native speakers and practice your target language.
It recently introduced HelloTalk Live and Voiceroom to learn the German language quickly. It also offers learning tools such as translation and instant captions to learn by chatting with native speakers.
It is an interactive platform for beginners to practice basic vocabulary, phrases, and pronunciation with native speakers.
- You can chat with people in 150+ languages.
- It is available for free with limited features.
- Offers Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly.
- It also offers private classes to learn a language.
- You can chat with native speakers worldwide.
- 30 Million+ learners have already joined this App.
- A free version is very limited
- It does not teach a language.
- You’re at the mercy of others.
HelloTalk also offers a pro version. Its monthly cost is $12.99. If you join the annual plan, its monthly cost with a discount is $6.67. It also offers a lifetime access plan, and its cost is $149.99. Its cost is different for different countries.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit HelloTalk.
Pimsleur is the best language-learning app for those who prefer audio-based lessons and want to focus on conversational skills. It offers audio lessons related to 55+ languages, including the most popular language German.
It also provides free access to all new users. Every new user gets a 30-minute lesson for free, where he can select the language and learn about all the basic concepts of the target language.
If you want to improve your listening and speaking skills in the German language, then Pimsleur is the best way to start because it only offers audio lessons.
- Offers 50+ languages to learn.
- Offers 30-minute free access to all new users
- Offers Digital Flash Cards for Practice.
- It is available for all devices.
- Offers a 7-day free trial for the monthly subscription.
- Its content quality is high.
- Not much reading or writing practice.
- Not suitable for advanced learners.
- It offers only audio-based lessons.
Pimsleur offers 2 subscription plans: Monthly and individual course costs. Its monthly cost ranges from $14 to $20. Pimsleur also offers an upfront payment plan, and its cost starts from $30 to $550. Its courses are divided into 5 levels, so each level has its own cost.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Pimsleur.
Tandem is a Language exchange app that is very useful for those who have some knowledge of a language and want to practice their language skills to gain fluency.
It is a language exchange app that connects language learners with native speakers. There are 300+ languages available, including the most popular language German.
This app also has additional tools where your partner can correct your sentence, get translations within the app, or add a comment to ensure the quality of your text.
- Millions of people use to practice 300+ languages.
- It connects language learners to native speakers.
- It also offers a certificate for your resume.
- It is a Free Language Exchange app.
- Easy way to find a language partner.
- The interface is easy to use and attractive.
- Meet language partners quickly and easily.
- Personal information is required to create an account.
- Paid tiers are overpriced.
- Need other resources to learn the language.
Its monthly cost is $13.99, the 3-month cost is $31.99 ($10.67 per month), and the annual plan cost is $79.99. Its annual and 3-month plan is suitable for those who want an additional discount.
If you want to learn more about this app, Visit Tandem.
Overall, Duolingo is the best app to learn the basic concepts of the German language for free. Babbel is the perfect platform for those who want to build a strong foundation in German language. If you are interested in live Classes, Verbling is the best app. HelloTalk is the best Language exchange app to help you to find language partners for conversations worldwide.
What is the best app to learn German?
Duolingo is the best app to learn the basic concepts of the German language for free. Babbel is the perfect platform for those who want to build a strong foundation in German language.
What app can make you fluent in German?
Babbel and Rosetta Stone are the perfect app for those who want to build a strong foundation in the German language.
Which free app is best for learning German?
Duolingo is the best app to learn the basic concepts of the German language for free.