HelloTalk and Tandem are the best language exchange apps for practice. Both apps connect you with native speakers to chat for free. HelloTalk is designed for individuals who want to improve their language skills through real-life conversation practice. Tandem is the best app to gain fluency in the target language because learners can practice speaking, listening, and writing skills while receiving feedback and corrections from native speakers.
You may be asking yourself, Is Tandem better than HelloTalk? What app is better than HelloTalk? Who are HelloTalk competitors? How to use HelloTalk or Tandem? What is the difference between HelloTalk and Tandem?
In this article, we compare both platforms and ultimately declare a winner. Now check the comparison table Betwean HelloTalk and Tandem.
HelloTalk vs Tandem
HelloTalk has a larger community of users and a more comprehensive range of language learning options, but it may be more overwhelming and less engaging. Tandem offers a broader range of language options, making it a better option for learning less common languages. It also has a stronger focus on learning features, such as translation tools, grammar checkers, and voice recording. Both apps offer free trials, but HelloTalk’s premium subscription options are more affordable.
Here is a table comparing HelloTalk and Tandem:
|Language selection||Over 150 languages||Over 300 languages|
|Community features||Yes, including a social feed, groups, and challenges||Yes, including a community forum and private messaging|
|Learning features||Yes, including a translation tool, grammar checker, and flashcards||Yes, including a translation tool, grammar checker, and voice recording feature|
|Price||Free, with premium subscription options||Free, with premium subscription options|
Overview of HelloTalk
HelloTalk is a free language exchange platform that connects users with native speakers worldwide for chats. It offers tools like translation instant captions, and private classes for each language. Live streams hosted by expert teachers provide a unique way to practice and immerse in culture.
This platform has 10 million+ downloads on its Android app, making it a popular choice for language learning. However, users have limited access to limited content and features.
You will love HelloTalk for its:
- Free Access
- Chat Features
- Live Classes
- Language Learning Tools
- Language Exchange Community
- Live Streams and Voice Rooms
If you want to learn an in-depth review of this app, then visit HelloTalk Review
Overview of Tandem
Tandem is a global language exchange app that connects language learners to practice and improve their skills. It offers easy messaging, voice notes, audio and video calls to improve speaking skills.
This app also provides a certificate for a valuable resume, accessible after completing reading, listening, and grammar tests. Tandem also offers translation tools, language correction, and community forums for users to ask questions and share resources.
You will love Tandem for its:
- Free Access
- Chat Features
- Language Certificate
- Language Learning Tools
- Language Exchange Community
If you want to learn an in-depth review of this app, then visit Tandem Review
HelloTalk vs Tandem Similarity
Both apps connect you with native speakers to chat for free. You will learn a language for free by chatting with native speakers worldwide.
HelloTalk and Tandem apps improve your language skills by chatting with language partners through text and voice messages, stickers, and video calls.
Both apps provide an easy way to find people from other countries to practice the language.
HelloTalk and Tandem apps are available for free to gain fluency in the target language.
Both apps app are suitable for intermediate students who have some knowledge of a language and want to become fluent in the target language.
HelloTalk vs Tandem Differences
HelloTalk is available for 150+ languages, while Tandem is available for 300+ languages, including the most popular languages such as Spanish, English, Japanese, Korean, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified, and Traditional Chinese.
HelloTalk offers Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly, while Tandem does not offer such a feature.
HelloTalk is available for free with limited features, while the Tandem free version covers all things that anyone needs to practice the language.
Tandem offers a certificate when you complete the test related to reading, listening, and grammar skills, while HelloTalk does not offer a certificate.
Tandem requires the most personal information required to create an account, while HelloTalk only requires a Gmail account to create an account.
HelloTalk vs Tandem Features
- Language Learning Tools: This app offers built-in learning tools that are very helpful for beginners, such as translation, corrections, and instant captions.
- HelloNative: It is the pro plan of Hellotalk. You can easily improve your speaking skills using voice calls for just 15 minutes.
- Moments posts: You will easily share Moments about language, culture, or travel to connect with native speakers.
- Favorite: You can create your own diary of essential foreign language words, grammatical rules, audio files, pictures, expressions, and phrases for future use.
- Boost Your Vocabulary: You can quickly correct words with its in-app translation feature, which helps you compose a message or translate an incoming one.
- Language Exchange Community: It has a million members worldwide. You can choose the language partner based on language, region, age, etc.
- Free Access: Its free version covers all the things that anyone needs to practice the language. There are no limits on how many people you can message.
In short, HelloTalk has many features compared to Tandem.
HelloTalk vs Tandem Languages
You can chat with people in 150+ languages on HelloTalk. It is also a suitable app for languages such as English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, German, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Turkish, Hindi, Indonesian, Thai, and Vietnamese.
Tandem is available in 300+ languages, including the most popular languages, such as Spanish, English, Japanese, Korean, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified, and Traditional Chinese, and 12 different sign languages.
Tandem offers more languages compared to HelloTalk
HelloTalk vs Tandem: Pros & Cons
HelloTalk has many pros and cons.
- You can chat with people in 150+ languages.
- It is available for free with limited features.
- It offers Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly.
- It also offers private classes to learn a language.
- You can chat with native speakers worldwide.
- 30 Million+ learners have already joined this App.
- The free version is very limited
- It does not teach a language.
- You’re at the mercy of others.
Tandem has many pros and cons.
- Millions of people use to practice 300+ languages.
- It connects language learners to native speakers.
- It also offers a certificate for your resume.
- It is a Free Language Exchange app.
- Easy way to find a language partner.
- The interface is easy to use and attractive.
- Meet language partners quickly and easily.
- Personal information required to create an account
- Paid tiers are overpriced
- Need other resources to learn the language
Cost Difference Between HelloTalk and Tandem
HelloTalk monthly cost is $12.99. If you join the annual plan, then its monthly cost with a discount is $6.67. It also offers a lifetime access plan, and its cost is $149.99. Its cost is different for the different countries.
The Tandem monthly cost is $13.99, the 3-month cost is $31.99 ($10.67 per month), and the annual plan cost is $79.99. Its annual and 3-month plan is suitable for those who want an additional discount.
HelloTalk cost is high compared to Tandem
HelloTalk vs Tandem Alternative
There are many alternatives to these apps.
Italki offers customizable 1-on-1 and group classes in 150+ languages, allowing students to select teachers based on qualifications, experience, and teaching style. Learn More Italki Review.
Live Lingua is an excellent platform for learning a new language through Skype and Zoom, offering 1-on-1 lessons and comprehensive exam guidance, making it an ideal choice for quick language fluency. Learn More Live Lingua Review.
Mondly provides resources for learning 41+ languages through certified tutors and speech recognition technology, aiding beginners in improving pronunciation and speaking skills, making it an ideal platform for language learning. Learn More Mondly Review.
Conclusion: HelloTalk vs Tandem
HelloTalk and Tandem are top language exchange apps for practice, connecting users with native speakers for free chats. Both offer Live and Voiceroom features for quick language learning, while Tandem lacks these features.
Is Tandem better than HelloTalk?
No, HelloTalk offers more features & easily accessible compared to Tandem. HelloTalk offers Live and Voiceroom to learn a language quickly, while Tandem does not offer such a feature.
What is the difference between HelloTalk and Tandem?
Tandem requires the most personal information required to create an account, while HelloTalk only requires a Gmail account to create an account. Tandem is not available for all countries.