Astronomy apps provide information about celestial objects and their movements. These apps help users identify stars, planets, constellations, and upcoming astronomical events.
Users will get access to a vast database, telescope control, and a user-friendly interface. Astronomy Apps are ideal for serious astronomers, beginners, and those looking to explore the night sky in detail.
What are Astronomy Apps and Stargazing Apps?
Astronomy apps are essential tools for stargazing and astronomy lovers. These apps provide detailed information about celestial objects, movements, and upcoming events.
They are beneficial for beginners and experienced stargazers. Astronomy Apps help users to identify stars, planets, and constellations.
Some apps also provide information about upcoming astronomical events, such as meteor showers and eclipses. Many apps are available for Android and iOS devices.
Stargazing is a challenging task for beginners, but smartphone apps can help locate and photograph objects in the night sky.
Star charts are limited to predictable, clockwork motions of the night sky, so it is essential to have a good astronomy app as a backup.
Some of the best stargazing and astronomy apps available for iOS and Android include astrophotography apps.
Many apps are free, while others require subscriptions or in-app purchases to access all available features. If you are looking for physics learning apps, visit the 10 Best Physics Solver Apps.
Top 10 Astronomy Apps For Stargazing
There are many Astronomy Apps for beginners looking to explore the night sky in detail. Now check the list of Astronomy Apps.
- Stellarium Mobile: It is a planetarium app that identifies stars, constellations, planets, and other deep-sky objects in real time.
- Polar Scope Align Pro: This app offers accurate calculations for Polaris or Sigma Oct, including atmospheric refraction and mutation.
- GoSkyWatch Planetarium: It is an astronomy app that identifies stars and constellations based on location and device orientation.
- SkySafari 7 Plus: It is a full-featured space simulator with telescope control and offers an immersive stargazing experience for amateur astronomers.
- Sky Guide: It offers detailed information about stars and constellations. It allows users to customize night sky viewing and identify stars, planets, and satellites.
- PhotoPills: PhotoPills is an all-in-one app for iPhone and iPad that helps photographers plan and shoot their creative ideas.
- Star Walk: It offers real-time stargazing and an interactive map of the night sky. It is available on iOS and Android platforms.
- Astrospheric: It offers weather tools for professional astronomers and astrophotographers in the US and Canada.
- Universe2go: It is an audio-visual sky guide that supports multiple languages, including Spanish and Italian.
- Celestron StarSense Explorer: It is a unique app that uses patent-pending technology to guide users on a guided tour of the night sky.
1. Stellarium Mobile
It is a planetarium app that allows users to identify stars, constellations, planets, comets, satellites, and other deep-sky objects in real time.
It provides accurate night sky simulations of stars and planets for any date, time, and location. Users can also explore a collection of stars, nebulas, galaxies, star clusters, and other deep-sky objects.
This app allows users to zoom in on realistic images of the Milky Way and Deep Sky Objects. You will also learn how people in other regions of the planet see stars, track artificial satellites, and simulate landscape & atmosphere.
- The app is available for Android and iOS devices.
- Learn how to discover 3D renderings of major solar system planets and their satellites.
- Stellarium Plus offers access to a vast collection of stars, nebulas, galaxies, and other deep-sky objects.
- It allows users to zoom in on high-resolution images observed in the field without an internet connection.
- You can control your telescope through Bluetooth or WIFI and use advanced tools to predict celestial object observability and transit times.
Join Now Stellarium Mobile
2. Polar Scope Align Pro
Polar Scope Align Pro is an astronomy app for iOS devices that helps align telescope mounts with the celestial pole. It calculates Polaris or σ Octantis position using GPS or manual input, ensuring quick and accurate polar alignment.
This app offers a vast collection of polar scope reticles and includes a deep space object database with over 22,000 objects from various catalogs, stars, and planets.
It also offers over 30 calculators for observing and astrophotography. The app is available for $2.99 on the App Store.
- This app offers accurate calculations for Polaris or Sigma Oct, including atmospheric refraction and mutation.
- It can be used with device time, date, or location and can use online or offline world databases.
- This app also has a Deep Space Object Database with 22000+ objects and a WiFi-enabled iOptron mount.
- It also offers a zoomable reticle view and customized routines & tools.
Join Now Polar Scope Align Pro
3. GoSkyWatch Planetarium
GoSkyWatch Planetarium is an astronomy app that identifies stars and constellations based on location and device orientation. It is available for iOS and iPad devices and uses a compass and accelerometer to pick up the sky.
This app offers a vast collection of polar scope reticles and allows users to quickly locate stars, planets, comets, constellations, and galaxies.
It provides accurate night sky simulations, over 200 images of planets and deep sky objects, and offers day, sidereal, and time-lapse animation. This app is available for $3.99 on the App Store.
- GoSkyWatch is an easy-to-use app designed for outdoor use.
- It offers touch-free identification, popup images, a full 180-degree display, and auto-calibration of the gyroscope compass.
- It also offers planets shown with relative brightness to stars, unique target identification, and minimal on-screen text that make it easier to identify stars and planets.
- This app also features a touch drag scheme for maximum accuracy and no need to hold the gyroscope.
Join Now GoSkyWatch Planetarium
4. SkySafari 7 Plus
SkySafari 7 Plus is a mobile app for Android and iOS devices that offers a full-featured space simulator with telescope control.
It shows 2.5 million stars, 32,000 deep sky objects, 7,000 asteroids, comets, and satellites with updatable orbits. It also offers over 30 calculators.
This app allows users to simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future and search stars and deep space objects by name, distance, or magnitude.
- SkySafari 7 Plus is a full-featured space simulator with telescope control and offers an immersive stargazing experience for amateur astronomers.
- SkySafari 7 Plus has several updates, including editing Jupiter GRS Longitude Value, improving Moon Age calculation, and displaying Solstice and Equinox markers.
- This app can find stars, constellations, and planets. You can also simulate the night sky, learn astronomy, control telescopes, and offer night vision.
- It now supports iOS 15 and iPhone 13. Users can find astronomical events visible today and far into the future.
Join Now SkySafari 7 Plus
5. Sky Guide
Sky Guide is an astronomy app for iOS and Android devices that offers detailed information about stars and constellations. It allows users to customize night sky viewing and identify stars, planets, and satellites.
You can receive notifications about the International Space Station’s flight. This app also offers an AR mode, cinematic time controls, and a personalized calendar for location-filtered events like solar and lunar eclipses. It is available for free.
- It can work with or without Wi-Fi, cellular service, or GPS, making it accessible to anyone.
- It also offers cinematic time controls and allows users to travel to the past or future.
- It also provides rich graphics for capturing photos or observing comets.
- Sky Guide is an easy-to-use that allows users to automatically identify stars, constellations, planets, or satellites in the night sky.
Join Now Sky Guide
PhotoPills offers a comprehensive guide to understanding stars and constellations. Users can customize night sky viewing, identify stars, constellations, planets, and satellites, and track satellites.
This app also offers an AR mode for easy visualization and cinematic time controls. PhotoPills is not just an astronomy app but also a photography planning app.
Users can plan their photos for various photography activities like landscape, moon, sunrise, sunset, architecture, star trails, drone, meteor showers, solar eclipse, lunar eclipse, time-lapse, wedding, portrait, or travel.
This app also offers tools like Planner, Widgets, 2D Milky Way, Augmented Reality, Awards, Locations & Plans, Sun, Moon, Exposure, DoF (Depth of Field), and Time lapse.
- PhotoPills is an all-in-one app for iPhone and iPad that helps photographers plan and shoot their creative ideas.
- By using PhotoPills, photographers can not only plan their shots but also improve their skills and capture legendary photos every time they take them.
- Users can create a To-Do list of planned photos, adjust frames for composition, and create a database of locations.
- You can save locations as Points of Interest and access daily information with the Widgets.
Join Now PhotoPills
7. Star Walk
Star Walk is an astronomical app that offers real-time stargazing and an interactive map of the night sky. It is available on iOS and Android platforms.
It offers a beautiful UI with camera modes like free roam, scroll/manual, and augmented reality. This app also provides information about sky objects, photos, and 3D models.
It is useful for planning long (and future) observing sessions. Vito Technology Inc. developed Star Walk. It is a company specializing in educational apps for mobile devices.
- Star Walk is a popular mobile app that offers an interactive guide to the night sky.
- Star Walk is considered one of the best stargazing apps for iPhone.
- It also allows users to explore over 200,000 celestial bodies.
- Users can track movements in real time.
Join Now Star Walk
Astrospheric offers weather tools for professional astronomers and astrophotographers in the US and Canada. It provides accurate weather data and tools to help plan astronomical observations and photography.
It supports hundreds of astronomical societies and offers free tools to astronomical societies and star parties. It is available on both iOS and Android platforms.
It offers an 84-hour hour-by-hour forecast, CMC astronomy data, ensemble cloud forecast, extended cloud forecast, Aurora viewing index, and International Space Station flyover paths.
- Astrospheric is a weather application designed for North American professional astronomers and astrophotographers.
- It also supports astronomical societies with chat, image sharing, event planning, and site mode.
- It is now available for users to enable Weather Alerts and Ensemble cloud forecasts.
- You can quickly compare the major forecast models with hourly updates.
Join Now Astrospheric
Universe2go is a personal planetarium app that offers an immersive stargazing experience on both iOS and Android platforms. It uses smartphone sensors to generate information and digital images of stars and celestial objects.
It has two modes: Starmap-Mode, which can be used without Astro-Glasses, and Planetarium-Mode, which uses AR-Astro-Glasses to create a symbiosis between the real sky and virtual graphics and text.
It uses a special algorithm and heuristics to identify stars with high reliability. It also offers several modes to explore the night sky, including Discovery, Mythology, Deep-Sky, and Quiz.
- Universe2go is an audio-visual sky guide that supports multiple languages, including Spanish and Italian.
- It displays constellations the same size as they appear in the sky and offers an automatically activated zoom feature.
- This app contains over 3 hours of excellent audio and hundreds of specially processed images.
Join Now Universe2go
10. Celestron StarSense Explorer
It is a smartphone-based telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real time.
This app runs on a smartphone attached to the StarSense Explorer telescope via the StarSense dock. It guides users through a two-step procedure to align the camera with the telescope’s field of view.
- StarSense Explorer is a unique app that uses patent-pending technology to guide users on a guided tour of the night sky.
- Its technology eliminates confusion for beginners and enhances the user experience for both seasoned and new telescope users.
- Users can scan the sky for objects they wish to view and search for objects in the extensive database.
- This app generates a list of the best stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae, and more.
Join Now StarSense Explorer
I have shared the Top 10 Astronomy Apps For Android and iPhone. This list of astronomy apps provides useful tools for astronomy and astrophotography. Astrospheric and NightShift are also recommended. The best app depends on your operating system and specific needs. These apps enhance life, whether for nightscape planning or identifying bright stars.
Is there a free astronomy app?
Sky Guide and Astrospheric are free astronomy apps for beginners, astronomers, and astrophotographers.
What is the best app to see the universe?
Sky Guide, Astrospheric, Star Walk, and PhotoPills are the best apps to see the universe.